New With version 9.5, LOGINventory receives a major license management update. On the one hand, the license management of virtualized applications and operating systems has been fundamentally revised and supplemented with new features, e.g. for cluster licensing, and on the other hand, many usability improvements have been introduced to existing functions. Update to LOGINventory 9.5 now free of charge and benefit from all the new features!
Management of Virtualized Operating Systems & Software
The management of virtualized operating systems & Applications has been fundamentally redesigned and now makes it much easier and clearer to add corresponding products to license management, select the correct metric settings and store the corresponding licenses. The licensing type to be used (e.g. Windows Server Standard or Datacenter, or SQL Server Enterprise with or without Software Assurance) is now selected when a product is created, whereupon the correct metrics are set automatically. Changes to the calculation formulas have made it much easier to store the procured licenses: the number of procured core licenses and the resulting virtualization rights no longer need to be entered separately.
Cluster Licensing & Allocation of Licenses to Several Products
Brand new with version 9.5 is the new product type cluster licensing:
- If several products have been created for a software in the LOGINventory license management, but the user does not want to allocate licenses to these products themselves, but instead wants to store the licenses in a “collective product” and then automatically distribute the licenses to the individual products, this is now possible via Cluster Product.
- If several physical hosts have been interconnected to form a failover cluster and licensing is carried out with Windows Server Standard licenses, all cluster members must have sufficient licenses so that all VMs in the cluster can run on one host in the event of a failover. This case can also be mapped by a Cluster Product.
Numerous Other Improvements in License Management
- New License Editor: When adding licenses, a window opens in which all details can be entered and documents can also be linked directly.
- Smart Duplication: Licenses can now be duplicated. If a license has a defined term, the term of the duplicate is automatically adjusted to the next period (e.g. month, quarter, year).
- Drag & Drop of licenses: Licenses can be moved to other versions via drag & drop.
- Info widget now also displays user data when selecting a
Userentry (e.g. in the list of consumers).
- In the “Operating systems per VM via host” metric, hosts on which no VM has yet been found can now also be selected.
- New option: “New subscription license“: This can be used to create licenses for subscriptions directly (e.g. for an online subscription) without having to create a corresponding product first. After entering the license details, you can select that a suitable product is created directly.
- Manual counting: If a
Devicequery is selected as a consumer, the corresponding users or devices are listed in the list of consumers and no longer just the number of rows is displayed.
- Licensing per user: “Counting in each version” (no longer only “in highest version”) possible.
- Significant performance improvements in the calculation of products.
- GUI improvements when selecting the “Detected Products” to be added to the license management.
- License distribution algorithm improved for consumers who require a different number of licenses.
- When creating new products, the versions created are automatically sorted and duplicating and editing versions is much more efficient.
- Report “Compliance Report” now contains editable fields.
- New fields that can be queried:
- For SoftwareProduct: Link to the host for products that are licensed “per host”.
SoftwareProductCompliancespecifies the minimum version for which a host requires licenses.
The manual has also been expanded: In addition to the descriptions of the new functions, it now also contains many new examples that explain exactly how different products can be managed in LOGINventory’s license management.
The recommended procedure for virtualized products changes due to the changes in the product calculation. Some instructions must also be observed after the migration if several license management nodes have been created. We have summarized everything important for you in a Knowledgebase article.
Build 16236 (02/08/2024):
- License management:
- List of detected products is determined more reliably.
- Calculation of license consumption with own formula using custom properties possible again.
Build 16229 (02/072024):
- Duplication of products in license management possible again.
- CSV import can write custom properties again.
- Improvements in the “Related data” widget.
- Remote scanner: Increased reliability when executing definitions.
- Improvements to the timeout that applies to the creation of topology representations, dynamic documents, etc.
Build 16205 (01/26/2024):
- Query Editor: Using drag & drop to select properties works again.
Build 16201 (01/25/2024):
- Data import from csv files:
- If an “Owner” is to be imported for a device, but the corresponding “Owner” string was not already present in the list of users, the import of the device in question previously failed. Now the device is imported anyway, the “Owner” remains empty.
- A unique import name is no longer necessary – the same name is now permitted multiple times for different imports.
- If there are many import definitions, it is now possible to delete multiple imports more reliably.
- Topology display: Problems with initial saving of filter settings fixed.
- Readout of Microsoft365 Cloud Subscriptions: Increased reliability when reading out large environments.
- Improvements when cleaning up outdated data.
- Capture of Fortinet switches: Improvements in reading the VLAN information from the Mac address table.